Do I need planning permission for my loft conversion?
- Loft conversion
Most loft conversions fall under what is known as permitted development so you may not need planning permission. However, you will if:
- Your home is a listed building.
- You live in a designated area, for example, a conservation area or National Park.
- You are going to alter the roof height or shape. For example, a mansard loft conversion would fit into this category.
- You want to include a balcony.
- Your roof space is more than 40m2 for terraced homes or 50m2 for detached or semi-detached homes.
- Your home is a flat or a maisonette. Sorry, permitted developments don’t apply to these properties, so you need to get planning permission for your loft conversion.
For further information contact your local authority planning department.