Skip to main content
Competent Person Scheme Tradesperson 3

Competent Person schemes

What is a Competent Person scheme and what are the names of the schemes? Find out here.

Save to list

Competent Person schemes (CPSs) were introduced by the UK Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the building regulations as an alternative to making a building regulations application.

A Competent Person must be registered with a scheme that has been approved by DLUHC (Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities) Schemes authorised by the DLUHC are listed on its website.

An installer registered with a Competent Person scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with building regulations and should both notify the local authority of the work and issue you a certificate of compliance with building regulations either directly or through their scheme operator.

If you don't receive a certificate within 30 days of completion contact the Competent Person Scheme operator that your installer is registered with and they may be able to help you resolve this. A Competent Person can only self-certify within the scope of their registration scheme.

N.B. the local authority can't issue a completion certificate until they're in receipt of the Competent Person's certificate.

List of Competent Person Schemes

APHC - Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors

Assure - Assure Certification Scheme

BBA - The British Board of Agrément Solid Wall Insulation

BESCA - Building Engineering Services Competence Assessment Ltd

BFC - Blue Flame Certification Ltd


CIGA - The Cavity Wall Insulation Self Certification Scheme CWISC

ELECSA - trading as Certsure LLP


Gas Safe Register



NFRC - National Federation of Roofing Contractors Ltd


STROMA - Stroma Installer Certification