Skip to main content
Do I need building regulations approval for my kitchen?

Do I need building regulations approval for my kitchen?

Project type

Save to list

Building regulations approval may well be needed for... 

  • Moving fittings such as the sink
  • Installing drainage for a new dishwasher
  • Extending drainage, making new connections to a drainage stack of underground drain, above-ground wastes or drains
  • Creating a new utility room, whether in your main building or in an outbuilding or garage
  • Carrying out electrical works as part of a refit
  • Building a kitchen or utility room where there wasn’t one before
  • Knocking down a wall (load-bearing or not) as the room will need to have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability and electrical and fire safety.

If in doubt always check with your local building control team. (Use the search box above this article to find their direct contact details.)

Approval won't be needed if...

  • Replacing drainage fittings on a like-for-like basis
  • Replacing kitchen doors 
  • Replacing kitchen units

For a more extensive list, visit the LABC website When does a replacement kitchen or bathroom need building regulations approval?

Notes on drainage

As mentioned, replacing existing drainage fittings on a like-for-like basis does need building regulations approval.

However, if the installation of the fittings will extend or make new connections to drainage pipes or an underground drain, the above-ground wastes and drains are controllable (i.e. need to be approved).

Drainage is legally a controlled service or fitting and you need to apply for building regulations permission before you start work. You can normally make your application using a building notice and can often submit this by telephone or online to your local authority building control team. Find out more at the link below.

Further information

Visit our building regulations applications FAQs