Skip to main content

Save to list

BESCA Competent Person scheme logo

Contact details

Old Mansion House
Eamont Bridge
CA10 2BX

Tel: 0800 652 5533

Building Engineering Services Competence Assessment Limited (BESCA) is the building services industry’s competent person’s scheme for the notification of commercial and domestic heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) work under the Building Regulations in England and Wales.

The BESCA Competent Person Scheme (CPS), authorised by the MHCLG (Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government) allows businesses to self-certify that their works comply with the building regulations in England & Wales

The scheme covers

  • Parts G, J, F and L1, covering respectively plumbing, heating and energy efficiency in dwellings including installing or replacing sanitary ware, installing a wholesome cold water supply, installing a supply of non-wholesome water to a sanitary convenience, and installing water efficient taps or showers.
  • Parts F and L2, covering ventilation and energy efficiency in buildings other than dwellings.
  • Heating and hot water installations including a hot water system without storage, an unvented hot water storage vessel, a vented hot water storage vessel, a heating system, an extension to an existing heating system or a flue gas heat recovery device.
  • Oil installations including oil storage tanks, oil supply pipework, an oil fired boiler or an oil fired room heater, stove or cooker.
  • Solid fuel installations including a solid fuel dry fuel room heater, stove or cooker, a solid fuel wet boiler room heater, stove or cooker, a solid fuel stove with warm air distribution system or a solid fuel dry open fire.
  • Ventilation and air conditioning systems including an air conditioning system in a dwelling or a non-dwelling or a mechanical ventilation system in a dwelling or non-dwelling.
  • Renewable Technologies including installing an air source heat pump, a ground source heat pump, a water source heat pump, a photovoltaic system, solar thermal hot water, a solar thermal system or a transpired solar collector. Also including micro and small wind turbines, and a small scale hydro-turbine.
  • Biomass including installing a biomass dry fuel room heater, stove or cooker, a biomass wet boiler, room heater, stove or cooker, a biomass stove with warm air distribution system, a biomass open fire or a micro CHP appliance.